Monday, September 26, 2005

The Magic Of A Juicer

It all started with my annual medical check up. While everything is clear and the doc said "I am as fit as a 22 to 25 year old lady", I took it with a pinch of salt. Perhaps he was talking about the BMI (Body Mass Index) which otherwise corresponds to James' new machine reading. I mean, I am aware of my unhealthy lifesytle, no exercise, and always outside food, if not instant tom yam mee.

The startling part was my cholestrol level. While the average is 5.2, mine is 5.8. And my pulse is about 80 over per minute. The doc casually said that it is normal for Asian people due to their diet and so it is acceptable and no worries and that I am perfectly alright.

So then, his professional judgment is based on the average Asian, and if most are having high cholestrol, it is then "OK" to be part of the gang? I wasnt too impressed with his remark. It dint sink in until I reached home that evening.

Anyway, since exercise is not an option for me, I have to find out other means to tackle this issue. A friend recommended cycling in the gym, I imagined myself passing out and hitting the floor instead.

While I am not overly worried about the results, I am perplexed because 2 years ago, my blood test showed that everything was fine and dandy. I concluded that apart from my non-exercise habitual hibernating lifestyle, age is a big contribution to this new problem. So for the following few days, I cracked my brain to find out what is not normal in my diet and what has changed. It was a Friday evening when it finally dawned upon me what could be the source of all this confusion. Apparently, for the past 2 to 3 months, I have been diligently consuming roasted chicken and roasted pork with rice for my lunch!!! Yes, that must be it! I used to have a combination of noodle soup and economy rice. Of late I am just too not bothered to think especially in between June to August as I was kind of stressed with my company's financial year end closing and other work matters.

I spoke to a friend and talked about our problems, and decided to get a juicer. She gave me the model number ~ Panasonic MJ series (remember Michael Jackson).

Another friend helped to source for it on Sunday (she was looking for a new tv) after the electrical shop we went to in SS2 on Saturday ran out of stock. So last evening, we dropped by a sundry shop to get some carrots, celery, green apples, and pears, on our way home from my regular visit to the Old Klang Road nursery for more pots. She helped me set up the machine, while I prepared the fruits, enough for 3 persons, including my youngest brother. We have some oranges left in the fridge too. The whole idea is to have a healthy diet and to replace my dinner with very healthy and fresh fruit juice, *slurp*.

When it was finally time to operate, I invited my youngest brother to grace the ceremony and had him chose his combination of fruits. Then it was my friend's turn. Then mine. Celery was not too popular so I cleared them up. It was nice and unlike what some friends said, I like the taste, mixed with the rest, about 700 ml of pure juice each. It was fun and very much refreshing. Everybody seemed pleased.

But guess what, my tummy started to growl again some 2 hours later.

Till then, have a pleasant Monday blues.

p/s Youngest sister called later in the nite and so I am going to try out bitter gourd later, upon her recommendation.

And oh, I am waiting for my parents' next visit. Dad likes his fruit juice topped with 2 strawberries. This will make his visit more homely now.

p/p/s Miraculously, I could feel myself "getting better" now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

Yes, juice is in, coffee and coke is out! Celery is not too bad especially if mixed with apple but stawberry juice for me instead please. Oh! I know it's too late to inform you now but we actually have a juicer lying about at home, a Kenwood one.

Were you at home in BM when Kenzu made us all Avocado juice? That's yummy, especially if sweetened with gula melaka.

Monday, September 26, 2005 5:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home